I made these Creamed Spinach Pastry Cups this Christmas and they turned out to be a tasty little appetizer. I found the recipe on MyRecipes. The frozen pastry cups were easy to make, and I love the low-fat cream cheese! For my variation, I used Pepperidge Farm Pastry Cups instead of Athens, which might be smaller than what’s called for. Although I used more of the pastry cups, there was no spinach mixture left over. To save on cost I used shredded Parmesan cheese instead of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
2 Pkgs. Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Cups (24 ct.)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. minced garlic
12 oz. baby spinach (coarsely chopped)
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream
3 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1 oz. shredded Parmesan cheese (for topping)
1. Prepare the puff pastry cups according to package directions.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil and garlic. Cook garlic 1 minute or until fragrant.
3. Coarsely chop spinach. Add half of chopped spinach to pan. Cook for 2 minutes or until wilted, stirring frequently. Add remaining spinach and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until wilted, stirring frequently. Sprinkle mixture with salt and toss.
4. Stir in heavy whipping cream and cream cheese. Cook for one minute or until cheese is melted. Remove pan from heat.
5. Spoon about 1 tsp. spinach mixture into each pastry shell. Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese and serve!